Tuesday, November 06, 2007

See Bella, boycott the Golden Compass

It's amazing how life continues after so many lives have been devastated--especially if your own life isn't included in that count. That's how it is here after the fires. Not surprising really given the fact that the human race has is being reduced to entertainment gluttons.

So, let’s talk movies. The good, the bad & the ugy. Beginning with the good, I hear Bella’s awesome and can’t wait to see it. Bit while beautiful films are being produced, trash abounds. The latest ugly movie apparently is sheer evil so let's be warned and warn others about The Golden Compass starring Nicole Kidman. Advertised as a normal children's movie, it clearly aims at teaching children that there is no God. (In fact, they kill God in the story.) The movie's based on of a trilogy of children's books and the author is an atheist named is Philip Pullman. Let’s take heed and let people know.

Such ugliness rides a trend of blatant filth and anti-God TV shows and movies. Seems almost everything nowadays promotes loose living to the point of debauch, totally disregarding consequences. So, you go pick up a “onenightstand”. Doesn’t matter that he/she might have a disease. If I didn’t read the Bible and understand that this is all part of a wind up (or wind down) bringing us nearer to the time when we’ll be with Jesus, I’d get seriously overwhelmed.

I like movies that make me think, motivate me, drive me to want to make a different. One of my fave old movies (and my family's) is Brother Sun, Sister Moon by Zephirelli. It’s just been redigitaled in DVD format. The film, poetically telling Francesco of Assisi’s story, is laced with profound spiritual innuendos that could easily be missed. For example, Francesco begins rebuilding an old church ruin and his friends think he’s crazy (literally). One by one they try to draw him back into their world. But one friend, Bernardo, pours out his heart to Francesco, sharing his own dissatisfaction with life. As he does, Francesco sees a large stone, asks where his friend had found it, and then quotes the verse, “All ye like lively stones are being built…”. He sees the stone as a fit for his church—and his friend as a stone for God’s temple.

I first saw that movie in Montreal where my husband was planting a church. At the end of the film, he went to the front of the theatre and preached a salvation message. Way to go dude.

On that note, let's support all those making good movies. Let's all go see Bella and any other movies promoting godly values. Let’s seek excellence, not trash.

Janey DeMeo©November 2007

2 comments:

Mark Leonard said...

I got to see a screening of Bella at the Orphan Care Summit in Colorado Springs last April. I also give it a big thumbs up.

Janey DeMeo said...

Mark, I great appreciate your comment. I also checked out your blog. Amazing.

Yes, yes, yes, for the baby shower thing. Right on. I wish more folks would take your initiative. And what about Christmas. Americans are gluttonized, and drowing in "stuff" yet they want more. Meanwhile, foster kids, orphans get nothing or almost nothing.

Hope you read my latest post about a baby being starved to death right here in Americ--in a hospital.

blessings,
Janey