Friday, August 07, 2009

Led or Driven?

It’s taken longer to get back in the saddle since Africa than I’d expected. One reason is just the ever-increasing number of emails that needed attention upon my return—not to mention other issues. I was also exhausted. Not sure if it was the bout of sickness that tried to kill me in Benin and was secretly lingering and lurking somewhere deep within. Or if I’m just getting old. Probably a bit o’ both. Anyway, I’m slowly getting back in that ol’ saddle, which is why I’m blogging today.

Many issues are on my mind, not the least of which is how stupid some people are. I know. Not very polite of me. Not kind. But it’s true. Some people make the most stupid and selfish decisions and the repercussions are disturbing. So what am I beefing over now? The children of course. The innocent victims of people’s poor choices.

There are really only two ways to make a decision: Either you’re led by God (which usually means you’ve come to Him in prayer, sought His will in His Word, perhaps asked counsel from godly people, waiting on the answer until it seemed in obvious alignment with God’s will . . . ). Or, you’re driven by the flesh. And, trust me, the flesh is a hard task-master.

I am learning that it’s always better to be led by God than driven by the flesh.

“This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live” (Deuteronomy 30:19).

I like this verse because it makes choosing easy. There are different choices before us. But only one is right. The one that God has chosen for us. That choice leads to life.

I also like this verse because I believe that if God requires that we “choose life,” then He must obviously make that “choose life” option clear to us. Or how could we choose? He makes His will known through the Bible, Scriptures. It’s up to us to find out what His will is. That means putting aside self-interest with His help.

So, why do I get so upset by those who make stupid choices? Because they are anything but life-giving. Take, for example, kids from divorced families whose parents choose whatever makes their own lives easy, regardless of their kids’ needs.

Just today I witnessed such a case. A parent moves the kids around from place to place, always looking for something better. Meanwhile, the kids have a strong dose of bitterness festering in their hearts. Parents make selfish choices as if they didn’t even have kids’ lives to consider at all. That is a choice of death. And it seems the children pay for it.

But there is one good thing I’m still learning about people’s “death choices.” They may make wrong choices but the story’s not over. And when it comes to kids, I feel a strong sense of advocacy coupled with a sense of inadequacy because I can’t do a whole lot to change what others choose for them. Or can I? Well, I can go back to the advocate in me and put it to work. I can pray.

Prayer changes things. Oh, it might not instantly change the situation thrust upon those kids. But as we persist in prayer, things will change in time. The kids’ hearts will become more tender, for one thing, in spite of their guardian’s poor decisions. Or the guardian may surrender to Christ—which would change a whole lotta things for the kids. Or God may close a door, block a way, thus sparing the kids from worse suffering. Whatever it is that God does as a result of prayer, He’ll do what’s best. And we’ll get changed in the process.

Prayer is never in vain. So, instead of griping about the unfairness I see, and the wrong choices others make that affect innocent kids, I’d best get praying.

If you’d like to know how to change children’s lives through prayer, browse the Orphans First website. And join the
Orphans First Prayer Chain
.

Janey L. DeMeo
August 2009 © Copyright
www.orphansfirst.org / www.JaneyDeMeo.com

No comments: